Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wahoos and Ultrarunning

The University of Virginia Alumni magazine published a nice piece on ultrarunning in its Spring 2010 issue. The author, Lee Graves, interviewed me and Alyssa Godesky, who graduated in 2008. Lee somehow stumbled upon my blog and thought a piece focusing on our wonderful, crazy sport and the "older/younger runner" angle would be of interest---thank you, Lee!

It was humbling to read Alyssa's comments on hoping to be competitive when she is my age, because at times I find myself wishing I was back in my 20s with years of racing and PRs ahead of me, instead of being in my late 40s doing my best to stay competitive in the Masters category! But I am so glad I can be a role model for younger women who seek to be endurance athletes and still be able to have a career and a family. Of course, there is no way I could have been able to enjoy the past eight years of ultraunning without the help and ongoing support of my hubby, family, and training partners. I believe a strong support system is crucial for longevity in this sport. We need to have friends and fellow runners who share in our thirst for challenges and adventures and who say "Go for it!" every time we come up with a new goal. I've written it here before and will again: I owe so much to my people---you know who you are!

One shout out in particular goes to Mark Lundblad and the fine folks at inov-8. They had no problem sponsoring an old gal like me this year and I am eternally grateful. I have been incredibly impressed with the professional quality of their products as well as how they treat their sponsored runners and customers. My current fave inov-8 shoe is the Flyrock 284. It was somewhat of a big jump from wearing only Montrails since 2001 to the "less is more" approach on the inov-8 shoe, but I absolutely love the Flyrocks and I feel ten times faster and lighter when I am running in them. I can't wait to race hard at the Terrapin 50K in March and see if that is the case!

7 comments:

annette bednosky said...

Sophie-you are an inspiration for many-including me! I can not imagine the challenges you face with teenagers and being a coach in addition to your full time job. Ouch! Yet you are inspired and talented and Inov8 is lucky to have you! And I am thrilled to know you! Keep up the fabulous, contagious, life-affirming attitude!

Rick Gray said...

Sophie, I read your post and also the article yesterday, but just now getting to giving you a well deserved comment. The video was wonderful. You spoke from the heart and of those who know you, it is really what you believe. You are an inspiration to so many by relentlessly moving forward in all that you do. I agree with Annette, Inov-8 is lucky to have you. Keep up your "shining" spirit!

Ronda said...

Sophie you are an inspiration and I love reading about your doings. Keep em coming!

Hooked up with Amy and she's my new rabbit.:)

Thomas Bussiere said...

Sophie – Love the post. So well put about maintaining a balance with a professional carrier, family (supportive wife and 2 kids), and demanding hours of training this sports requires. This is what normally limits my performance is keeping this balance. I would like to train more, but would have to sacrifice something I’m not willing to do. It’s like a 3 legged stool, and I like the challenge of keeping it balanced so it doesn’t fall over. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

ultrarunnergirl said...

Sophie, you are always inspiring! Loved the article.

meredith said...

Sophie - You are such an inspiration and unbelievable example of incredible talent! Thank you so much for sharing.

I can't wait to cross paths with you again :)

Andy said...

Hi Sophie,
Very cool video. You're a star!